Many people love not only the looks, but most especially the taste of different cakes. One of the common and delicious cakes that you can taste and bake is a honey cake. Also known as Medovik, honey cake is among the most well known cakes found in Russia. It is a multilayered cake of cookies or honey torte with a soft, caramel filling. This cake contains cookie form layers, which may range from five to ten layers. Every Russian baker probably has his own version of the cake. Making this cake takes a bit patience and time, yet it is all worthwhile.
The history of honey cakes goes all the way back to honey’s history. Honeybees have lived on Earth a couple of million years ago, just long before people did. You probably know that milk and honey are used to be the primary food eaten by the ancient people. But today, honey has been used to complement delicious food like cakes. This has brought the delicious honey cakes to the scene.
If you want to make your own honey cake, it may take only a few steps to do so. Usually, honey cake is served in Rosh Hashanah as honey is symbolizing wishes for “sweet” stuff to come. This cake turns to be moister, while having its flavors deepened one or two days after it has been made. The following are the steps for preparation. It requires an active time of 30 minutes, while 3 hours from the start to end, including cooling.
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cups of all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- Two large eggs
- 1 cup of honey (ideally buckwheat)
- ½ cup strong coffee (cooled and freshly brewed)
- 2 tbsp. bourbon or whiskey
- ¼ packed brown sugar
- Loaf pan is required as your special equipment (9 x 5 x 3)
- Place the oven rack in mid position then preheat up to 350o Put oil on the loaf pan evenly and dust in with some flour, keeping the excess.
- Whisk together cinnamon, flour, baking powder, ginger, salt, and baking soda within a small bowl. Mix together oil, coffee, and honey in another bowl and be sure to mix them well.
- Whisk together brown sugar and eggs inside a huge bowl with the electric mixer on a high speed of three minutes. Put on low level speed and then add the honey mixture, beat and mix till blended, around one minute. Add flour mixture and mix them all. End mixing batter by using a rubber spatula, while scraping the bowl’s bottom.
- Put the batter in the loaf pan and bake it for thirty minutes. Cover loosely the top by using foil and persist baking until the cake starts from pulling away around the sides of the pan with the wooden skewer or pick in the center becomes clean around thirty minutes or more. Let cool on the rack for one hour.
- Run the knife around the cake’s side and then invert the rack on pan and upturn cake on the rack. Cool completely then serve.